Blue, grey, silver, white;
Sky can choose, as he so pleases.
Whether the temperature be cold or hot,
It matters not too much;
And within shortest notice.
Great Sky can change colour.
Trapped in our skin whatever the colour,
Looking outside ourselves;
We can live to appreciate each other.
At close up, or standback stance,
Lunging forward, flitting backwards-
The dance of the beautiful humming bird.
Beat, beat, wing beat of the humming bird;
Catches the notice of every flower.
Petals smooth or velvet to the touch;
Of shapes and sizes;
Attractive in array;
Forming the landscape into a pattern.
This skillfully crafted pattern,
Can only be copied by nature;
Herself the creator;
Aloof, untouchable, original.
The model conscious of her beauty;
Poised in the nude.
The artist paints her- nude;
And lays bare his soul,
On that canvas.
They stare, and stare;
Dumb struck, in the museums and the galleries.
He plys the street for his income.
A pitiable sum this income,
Stretched to limits;
Of mundane living.
The spell of quotidian-
through a maze of adventures;
While the hunter fixes a snare.
An animal in the wild in the snare;
Caught, while others remain free;
To execute the art of living.
Gillena Cox's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Colours by Gillena Cox )
- Loving An Existence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Ostrich - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- Nothing is faulty, gajanan mishra
- Silent Scream, Vivek Tiwari
- Your Fault, Von Kimball Barney
- Faking news, gajanan mishra
- Simply Is No End, Margaret Alice Second
- तुम और हम, Priyanka Gupta
- Seeing Childhood In Memories, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Intellectual Gifts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Exposure, Wilfred Owen
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Autumn Song, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)