Blue, grey, silver, white;
Sky can choose, as he so pleases.
Whether the temperature be cold or hot,
It matters not too much;
And within shortest notice.
Great Sky can change colour.
Trapped in our skin whatever the colour,
Looking outside ourselves;
We can live to appreciate each other.
At close up, or standback stance,
Lunging forward, flitting backwards-
The dance of the beautiful humming bird.
Beat, beat, wing beat of the humming bird;
Catches the notice of every flower.
Petals smooth or velvet to the touch;
Of shapes and sizes;
Attractive in array;
Forming the landscape into a pattern.
This skillfully crafted pattern,
Can only be copied by nature;
Herself the creator;
Aloof, untouchable, original.
The model conscious of her beauty;
Poised in the nude.
The artist paints her- nude;
And lays bare his soul,
On that canvas.
They stare, and stare;
Dumb struck, in the museums and the galleries.
He plys the street for his income.
A pitiable sum this income,
Stretched to limits;
Of mundane living.
The spell of quotidian-
through a maze of adventures;
While the hunter fixes a snare.
An animal in the wild in the snare;
Caught, while others remain free;
To execute the art of living.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Colours by Gillena Cox )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- Voyage, Hrishikesh Bharadwaj
- Reflected In Mirrors, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- zeros and ones, Tajudeen Shah
- Beat Of My Heart, Lydia Cunningham
- Tell - Tale Moments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Speculative Visions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Allocating Rhythms, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Perfect You, Naomi Mith
- The Water, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Opened, Sade Bolaji