Blue, grey, silver, white;
Sky can choose, as he so pleases.
Whether the temperature be cold or hot,
It matters not too much;
And within shortest notice.
Great Sky can change colour.
Trapped in our skin whatever the colour,
Looking outside ourselves;
We can live to appreciate each other.
At close up, or standback stance,
Lunging forward, flitting backwards-
The dance of the beautiful humming bird.
Beat, beat, wing beat of the humming bird;
Catches the notice of every flower.
Petals smooth or velvet to the touch;
Of shapes and sizes;
Attractive in array;
Forming the landscape into a pattern.
This skillfully crafted pattern,
Can only be copied by nature;
Herself the creator;
Aloof, untouchable, original.
The model conscious of her beauty;
Poised in the nude.
The artist paints her- nude;
And lays bare his soul,
On that canvas.
They stare, and stare;
Dumb struck, in the museums and the galleries.
He plys the street for his income.
A pitiable sum this income,
Stretched to limits;
Of mundane living.
The spell of quotidian-
through a maze of adventures;
While the hunter fixes a snare.
An animal in the wild in the snare;
Caught, while others remain free;
To execute the art of living.
Gillena Cox's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Colours by Gillena Cox )
- Mercenary, Babatunde Aremu
- Then, SALINI NAIR
- Beauty Does Shine, Rohit Sapra
- The Poster Girl's Defence, Carolyn Wells
- The love obituary, Kenneth Maswabi
- Marina Tsvetaeva Every poem is a child.., valentin savin
- Tribute to Otieno Kajwang (Bwana Bado Ma.., Amos O. Ojwang'
- On A Calm Summer Night, Eve Carter
- Accepting Human Nature, Ima Ryma
- and then a cliff where i fall again., RIC S. BASTASA
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Coat, William Butler Yeats
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Challenge To The Dark, Charles Bukowski
- November, Thomas Hood
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)