Blue, grey, silver, white;
Sky can choose, as he so pleases.
Whether the temperature be cold or hot,
It matters not too much;
And within shortest notice.
Great Sky can change colour.
Trapped in our skin whatever the colour,
Looking outside ourselves;
We can live to appreciate each other.
At close up, or standback stance,
Lunging forward, flitting backwards-
The dance of the beautiful humming bird.
Beat, beat, wing beat of the humming bird;
Catches the notice of every flower.
Petals smooth or velvet to the touch;
Of shapes and sizes;
Attractive in array;
Forming the landscape into a pattern.
This skillfully crafted pattern,
Can only be copied by nature;
Herself the creator;
Aloof, untouchable, original.
The model conscious of her beauty;
Poised in the nude.
The artist paints her- nude;
And lays bare his soul,
On that canvas.
They stare, and stare;
Dumb struck, in the museums and the galleries.
He plys the street for his income.
A pitiable sum this income,
Stretched to limits;
Of mundane living.
The spell of quotidian-
through a maze of adventures;
While the hunter fixes a snare.
An animal in the wild in the snare;
Caught, while others remain free;
To execute the art of living.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Colours by Gillena Cox )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Love, Baki Yigit
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney
- A Small Something, Jessica Paige Davies
- Shrouded, Jessica Paige Davies