Chocolate Chip Day
Today we celebrate Ruth Wakefield...and where does her story begin?
In the state of Massachusetts where she bought the Toll House Inn.
One day Ruth was baking cookies...(they usually got rave reviews.)
When she realized she was out of chocolate...(the kind that bakers use.)
She knew without some chocolate, the demand for her cookies decreases
But she found a Nestles semi-sweet chocolate bar and cut it into pieces.
She thought, once the cookies were baked, the chocolate would melt into the dough
Resulting in a batch of chocolate cookies and her customers would never know.
She was not ready for the finished product...(although she was no kitchen rookie)
For on that day Ruth Wakefield...invented the chocolate chip cookie.
These cookies became so popular...Toll House Crunch Cookies were their name
That it brought both Ruth and the Nestle company a bit of fortune and some fame.
Nestle and Ruth came to an agreement...kind of like that of a husband and wife
Nestle printed the recipe on their packages and Ruth got free chocolate for life.
Eventually Nestle started packaging chips because breaking up bars was such a drag
And today you’ll still find Ruth’s original recipe on the back of every bag.
Sure Nestle made some money and their chocolate chips are number 1
But come on...Ruth got free chocolate for life...there’s no comparison!
There are many discoveries that changed the world but only one of these is key
You might think it’s Alexander Graham Bell’s phone or Ben Franklin’s electricity.
You might say it was Philo Farnsworth’s television or Robert Goddard’s rocket ship
But for me...I can’t imagine a world without Ruth Wakefield’s chocolate chips.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Chocolate Chip Day by Jim Yerman )
- Building Bricks, Jude Ogunade
- A Hydro Odyssey, Patrick Czyz
- Salvation, Earth And Sadness, Tony Adah
- Perspective, Patrick Czyz
- flesh to flesh, jaquesha webb
- Make it a new day., Patrick Czyz
- A Deadly Romance, Akhtar Jawad
- Tear Stained Haiku, Patrick Czyz
- It Hurts When Your're Letting Go, Marvin Tordillos
- Where Is The Faith Kept, Lawrence S. Pertillar
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)