CCU To CCU (Coronary Care Unit To Calcutta)
Away from home,
Away from my dear cat, my books and papers, my friends,
Away from my life,
With my face and head covered in a quilt stinking of uncertainty,
Lying for days on end
Lying one knows not where,
With the heart gnawed and clawed viciously.
Then when the heart stops, the inevitable CCU,
To draw life somehow back from the edge,
Back to throbbing, the heart would like to return, the sick body seeks home,
To return to the cat, to friends, to the cherished touch.
The mind journeys from CCU to CCU...!
Who cares to listen to the heart!
Picked up from the CCU, she is told,
In a voice severely sombre, that shakes you to the core,
Go to some other country, leave this land.
Where can I go? I've no other place to go,
When I die, bury me in this soil,
You can then tear up the soil to find my roots.
Who cares to look into anything?
Who cares to be miserable at a human being washed away in her own tears screaming for help?
From the CCU into exile,
They flung me once again like dirt into darkness,
They had washed their hands clean, the distinguished authorities,
I stood before them, with bowed head, and folded hands.
[This poem was written while Taslima was forced to live in confinement in an undisclosed location in Delhi from 22 November 2007 to 19 March 2008. Samik Bandapadahya translated this poem from her book PRISONERS POEMS]
Taslima Nasrin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (CCU To CCU (Coronary Care Unit To Calcutta) by Taslima Nasrin )
- Rising Evil, SREEJITH KULAPARAMBIL
- Orphan, Dipankar Sadhukhan
- Verbum Caro, Translation of Pierre Emman.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- ''Heartbeat'', Patricia Grantham
- A Cat Is Always A Cat, Edward Kofi Louis
- Before and After, Aftab Alam
- Like The End Of A Prayer, Edward Kofi Louis
- The Burning Costs of Life, michael walkerjohn
- Elisabeth, Edward Kofi Louis
- Before shutting the lid of the coffin….., Ponniah Ganeshan
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(15 April 1958)