Please flood her nerves with sedatives
and keep her strong enough to crack a smile
so disbelieving friends and relatives
can temporarily sustain denial.
Please smite that intern in oncology
who craves approval from department heads
Please ease her urge to vomit; let there be
kind but flirtatious men in nearby beds.
Given her hair, consider amnesty
for sins of vanity; make mirrors vanish.
Surround her with forgiving family
and nurses not too numb to cry. Please banish
trite consolations; take her in one swift
and gentle motion as your final gift.
AM Juster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Cancer Prayer by AM Juster )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Are You Mad At Me?, Michael P. McParland
- Anyone But You?, Michael P. McParland
- Another Year, Michael P. McParland
- Another Wish, Michael P. McParland
- Cop Killers and Killer Cops, Is It Poetry
- Another Night (Off To Sleep), Michael P. McParland
- Another Day, Michael P. McParland
- Hands on Hips, Mae AC.
- Hands in Pockets, Mae AC.
- Another Christmas, Michael P. McParland