The magazine showed butlins camps
But was further than the moon
For the pounds and shilling to get us there
Was never coming soon
So I dreamed someday we go together
To this holiday camp in heaven
Way Me brothers and my sisters
And my best friend at school called Kevin.
But the milkman, butcher and grocer
took up the holiday pot
And left Ma and Da in a bit of a spot
Butlin's this year was a definite not
My magazine grew thinner
As It disappeared up the flue
Like my thoughts of seeing Butlin's
My dreams were getting few.
Dad announced that summer
We would all be on a trip
To a big red bus outside Portrush
So we packed our holiday kit.
Ballyreagh was certainly not Butlin's
But it gave us all the thrills
As we played in the golden sand.
And fished in the deep blue pools.
The big red bus was our summer home
A house with windows and wheels.
It's final stop was a grassy spot
Looking out to sea.
I never thought of Butlins again
As my brothers sisters and me
Lived that summer in that big red bus
At Ballyreagh...... by the sea.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Butlin's by Douglas McClarty )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
((13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Inner nightmare, iluneos periform
- Light, Isaac Maliya
- Trapped in a dewy glistening web, Mark Heathcote
- Three Days Before Christmas, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Insanity, Michael P. McParland
- Invisible, Michael P. McParland
- A Journey in a Winter Morning, Kumarmani Mahakul
- The Uninvited Guests, Tony Adah
- I Am Not Evil, Michael P. McParland
- Great Black Spectre, Michael P. McParland