I lived in the most dangerous
part of the world
At first I felt alone. I was petrified,
but I survived.
The bombs the bullets
killing my friends, neighbours
Bullets flying, bombs exploding,
the eve of destruction.
But I survived I survived,
I wasn't, ready to die
It made me wonder how evil grows
sprinkled by hate
But there could be a new generation
with an explanation
Why did it happen,
is there a cure for diseased corrupt minds.
I just had to move on
this long and scary winding road.
Things just looked very cold
I'll maybe die before I'm old
Each day I become more immune
to what's on my TV
Living in this dead mans town
oh god I long to be free.
Could they not see nobody's right
if everybody's wrong
Two sides kept singing
two very different victory songs.
Through this all I keep looking
for the shoots of sanity
Can we all not live like others
, eat, live and die in peace.
Or watch their apprentices
building the walls of hate
I now just live day by day
hoping their walls will tumble.
Douglas McClarty's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Black Days by Douglas McClarty )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Not His Cartoons, Prof Niamat Ali Murtazai
- what is a compliment, lee fones
- our Archie, our one eyed parrot, lee fones
- Thesaurus, lee fones
- Who Says India Is Not Secular? Do Not Mi.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- My Loneliness, Muhammad Shafi Lone
- India-centric Statement, Bijay Kant Dubey
- All The Time Minorityism Is Not Good At .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- A Modern Indian English Poetess In The G.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Funeral March, RoseAnn V. Shawiak