Cape Verde Islands
Escape from northern Emerald's icy grip
See Teide slipping away from this ship
Sailing south to Islands sunny and green.
Where dreams ended for unsuspecting souls
Now standing on these balmy rocky shores
I shiver, the thought of once rattling chains
Thousands of lost dreams brought here
Stripped of freedom, their final journey to hell
While the Christian church bells rang the Nell
Now here some of their kindred, smiling, free
They look at this stranger, they smile at me
You are welcome sir, welcome to Cape Verde.
Douglas McClarty's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Cape Verde Islands by Douglas McClarty )
Did you read them?
- Suazo Nights, Eddie Morgan
- Juicy Lucy, I Salute Your vASStness!, Monk E. Biz
- As Long As I Am There For 'You', Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Paralyzed And Iced, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- The Art and the Pain, Udaya R. Tennakoon
- Alien Lullaby, Akujuobi Chijioke
- A Song Of Long Ago, Lilly Emery
- Simply Amazing, Olecia Henry
- A City Called Nirvana, Akujuobi Chijioke
- Dragon Kite Tanka, Chenou Liu