Jerry Behr Number 2
“Ok Buffy, come on.”
I said as I opened the back door
Buffy came inside the house
prancing, then dancing
on her two hind legs.
With great expectations she
knew it was time “Walkies.”
I got her leash, latched it
on her collar. Though wild with
excitement I could control Buffy
she is only a small dog;
besides I weigh more than she does.
Her tail wagged wildly I told her to sit
while I fetched my crutches I needed
them for my bum hip.
Cartwright is a suburb with a maze of
walkways, a labyrinth of footpaths in all
directions, intermingled amongst fibro houses
and flats. We stepped out onto the walkway,
it was early evening with a slight breeze.
“There they are Buffy, Venus, Saturn and Jupiter.”
Telling Buffy where the planets were in the
crystal clear evening sky.
“Complete with Vincent Van Gogh’s moon.”
Buffy just walked on ahead tugging on her leash.
I held her leash on the handle grip of my crutch
as we walked the walkways. I had to be mindful
of cats, I have to protect Buffy from them.
The cats stalked Buffy wanting to
box Buffy’s ears in.
We walked to Eloure Park and sat on a
knee high log fence. Looking up I said.
“The amount of stars here Buffy is only half
of what there is, all the rest are blocked out by
Light pollution, smoke and real pollution.
Now in the bush, Buffy one could see
far more of these stars and the sight
is virtually hallucinatory. Thousands
upon thousands of stars, I felt I could
touch them in the night sky.
Come on Buffy, time to go back home.”
We walked the same way
back along the walkway
we came, passing the yapping
dog behind the fence.
Jerry Behr Number 2's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Buffy by Jerry Behr Number 2 )
- तुम्हारी याद (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- Sacred Men, Naveed Akram
- दर्द ही सही (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- तेरा ग़म (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- On the road of life على طريق الحياة, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Travel, Hans Raj Sharma
- I Will Enter, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Unlimited Love, howard simon
- O, Earth! O, Heavens!, Rachel Glassman
- Epithalamium, Rachel Glassman
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)