Innokenty Fedorovich Annensky
Bow and Strings
What heavy, dark delirium!
What dim and moonlit heights!
To touch the violin for years
And not to know the strings by light!
Who needs us now? And who lit up
Two hollow, melancholy faces...
And suddenly the bow felt
Someone take them up, unite them.
"How long it's been! Amidst this gloom
Just tell me this: are you still the same?"
The strings caressed the bow,
Rang out, caressed it slightly trembling.
"Is it not true, that we will never more
Be parted. It's enough..."
Yes, replied the violin,
But pain was throbbing in her heart.
The bow discerned it and grew mute,
The echo still continued in the violin...
What was a torture to them both
The people heard as music.
But the violinist didn't snuff
The candles out 'til dawn...The strings sang on...
The sun found them worn out
On the black velvet of their bed.
Innokenty Fedorovich Annensky's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bow and Strings by Innokenty Fedorovich Annensky )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
- Save By The crumbs, George Egba
- OUR WORDS ARE NOT FUNNY كلماتنا ليست للت.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- A SEASON RETREATS..., M.D Dinesh Nair
- Mockingbird tanka, hap rochelle
- My Music Box, Have They Killed You?, mary douglas
- Try to be, hasmukh amathalal
- Id. is case sensative, Aftab Alam
- Tamping Warriors, Michael Olajubu
- Obituary, Tony Adah
- From the Long Sad Party, Mark Strand