Reading physics in the Charger
at North Bondi; after a while
it gets hard to concentrate.
All that sunlight.
Clouds moving just fast enough
to be boring if you watch them,
totally different the next time you look.
All that wind.
Two drunks sway down the ramp,
drinking white metho. They argue.
One punches the other in the face.
He falls on the sand.
Three boys, two frisbees: hypnotic
laws of flight and silhouette,
curvature and traceries of air.
All that aerodynamic stuff.
You think of Hebrew etymology.
Grace is God’s smile, or God smiling
on us. Mercy means running towards
someone in love.
So you go swimming. The wave looms
dark, you stroke twice and are launched
into fierce velocities of green.
First wave of spring.
Under the water the sunlight bends
when waiting for waves you practise
being weightless. Just you and the light
in a pale green world.
A westerly is blowing all the waves’
bellies hollow. You sweep
to the base and they burst in a silver
chaos of splintering;
and in this swollen place
of light and speed
you are beside yourself with happiness,
for an instant
on the inside of a wave.
Luke Davies's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Body Surfing by Luke Davies )
- Surmounting Problems, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Reflection, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Marks Of Existence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Wake Of Suicide, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love Miracle, Vian Sabri
- The Acrobat, Pat Raia
- Hupa, John Tansey
- i multi-task hard for you, Mandolyn ...
- Gridlock, Polarization And Shown Indiffe.., Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Similar yet different, Nassy Fesharaki
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Richard Cory, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- The Lesson, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)