Derek. A. Sim
Better Late Than Never...
Better Late Than Never
I had to work late; you're home all alone,
you're probably wondering, ‘Why didn't he phone? '
You'll be heating the oven and preparing our meal,
as I slam on the brakes, the tyres all squeal.
You're changing your work clothes for homely attire,
as the car starts to spin, the consequences; dire,
preparing the veg, you uncork the wine,
as the car clips the kerb; and ploughs through a sign.
You're pouring two glasses, expecting me there,
the car's on its roof, there's blood everywhere,
you switch on the telly as your patience wears thin,
the windshield is out… the earth's coming in.
Whilst you wait and worry, ‘Just where can he be? '
The car enters the lake after glancing a tree,
I'm trapped and I'm sinking, with no help at hand,
the car fills with water, the doors… both jammed.
I'm panicking now; thinking, ‘Is this the end? '
My thoughts turn to you… my soulmate, my friend,
I see all the places and faces fleet past,
your troubled expression, remembering our past.
How will you manage as I leave you alone?
To sort out my funeral; to order my stone.
I'm now in my childhood as the pictures wind back,
my last thought is you…
My world is now black.
Derek. A. Sim's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Better Late Than Never... by Derek. A. Sim )
- The different images in life, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- India To Vow, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- A Touch of Fall, Rhonda Trull
- AMISS, Gina Borrebach
- Geleefd, geliefd, verzonken, Madrason writer
- That coming Fall, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Set of Compromises, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- A Fundamental Fruit Of The Soul, Romella Kitchens
- Facebook (Haiku), Jesus James Llorico
- Lover Mother Lover, stephen ifill
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- How Attractive Are You, Shaun Shane
- Daffodil, Shaun Shane
- 06 Perpetual Optimism, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 03 a love who's just like me, Shaun Shane
- what i am, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)