Round youthful Henry's restless bed
His weeping friends and parents pressed;
But she who raised his languid head
He loved far more than all the rest.
Fond mutual love their bosoms fired;
And nearly dawned their bridal day,
When every hope at once expired,
For Henry on his death-bed lay.
The fatal truth the sufferer read
In weeping Lucy's downcast eye:
"And must I, must I, then," he said,
"Ere thou art mine, my Lucy, die!
"No,...deign to grant my last, last prayer;
'T would soothe thy lover's parting breath,
Wouldst thou with me to church repair,
Ere yet I feel the stroke of death.
"For trust me, love, I shall my life
With something like to joy resign,
If I but once may call thee wife,
And, dying, claim and hail thee mine."
He ceased: and Lucy checked the thought
That he might at the altar die,....
The prayer with such true love was fraught,
How could she such a prayer deny?
They reached the church....her cheek was wan
With chilling fears of coming woe....
But triumph when the rites began
Lent Henry's cheek a flattering glow.
The nuptial knot was scarcely tied,
When Henry's eye strange lustre fired,
"She's mine! she's mine!" he faltering cried,
And in that throb of joy expired.
Amelia Opie's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ballad by Amelia Opie )
- Clean and cleanliness, gajanan mishra
- Holding You Tight, Michael McParland
- I'm bored with it all., gulsher JOHN
- A Rich Man, S.R. Riang
- the natural disaster.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Desert Country Ways, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Way To Balance In Life, Margaret Moran
- Choosing Directions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Mind's Highway, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- While The World Is Asleep, Kewayne Wadley
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Robert Louis Stevenson
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)