Baby in the bathwater
When my son Sergio takes a bath,
The water is never still.
He thinks that he is in
a fishbowl, and dives
underneath the rim of the
After the warm bath
water reaches flood level stages,
we turn off the faucet.
He lies on his back,
two ears tucked down
below the surface of the water.
He asks that I wash his feet.
He throws them both
towards the direction of my face.
They are so small, like a bar of hotel soap.
His toes are attached to his feet,
five little beads of pearls.
He sticks out his hand
and I pour several drops of shampoo.
He throws it in
the air and then laughs.
And come to think of it,
I almost forgot
what it was like
to take a bath.
Oscar Mireles's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Baby in the bathwater by Oscar Mireles )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- Owl & Handbag, sheena blackhall
- Lighthouse, sheena blackhall
- Human Touch, Mark R Slaughter
- Fishing Village, sheena blackhall
- Skull, Mark R Slaughter
- La Plonge, sheena blackhall
- On Waking, Rodrigo Diaz
- Death of the Hares, sheena blackhall
- 10 Scots poems from the Poetry Hat, sheena blackhall
- Queen Patrenialla - Part 3 Page 2, QueenPatrenia Turner, Royalt ..