How long will my punishment last?
Do my brethren share my fate?
My arms grow weary but I get no respite
My life is constantly before my eyes despite it all
The universe is the mirror of my failures and triumphs
I am bound by the cords of time and sins of my life
I would welcome death with open arms but they hold a different burden
Time passes and from their memory do I fade, only in legend and myth do I live
My tears cannot absolve me from her memory nor will her forgiveness lighten my load
My hearts clings onto the past for I have no future but this
Does anyone see my tears when it rains?
Does anyone feel my heart aches during earthquakes?
My sweat is like rain in a desert as it streaks down my cracked skin
I can never seek forgiven for my resolve, but only think of revenge
I stare at the stars and see her face, does she see me?
A slave to her scent have I become, the winds of remorse and regret blow it away as I gain relief
'Maybe she will free me, ' I hope without hope, for even truth mocks me
Mocked by her once sweet laughter I seek relief in my pain, a pain she will never know
I carry all her sins, I bear all her world's problems' on my shoulders
Do not be enslaved by her beauty and grace new-born
Do not be infatuated with her scent new-born
Look up and you will see her.....my lover....my punishment.
David Musoke's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Atlas by David Musoke )
- Love inspired meetings inspire, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Autumn, Deborah Kelley
- Fear of God?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Keep On Groovin', Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Benefits For Them Do Not Exist, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Come close, hasmukh amathalal
- Cows caught, gajanan mishra
- Discovering God's Will, Tom Zart
- Shining later, hasmukh amathalal
- Memory, Liffy Liu
Poem of the Day
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)