At Night On The High Seas
At night, when the sea cradles me
And the pale star gleam
Lies down on its broad waves,
Then I free myself wholly
From all activity and all the love
And stand silent and breathe purely,
Alone, alone cradled by the sea
That lies there, cold and silent, with a thousand lights.
Then I have to think of my friends
And my gaze sinks into their gazes
And I ask each one, silent, alone:
"Are you still mine"
Is my sorrow a sorrow to you, my death a death?
Do you feel from my love, my grief,
Just a breath, just an echo?"
And the sea peacefully gazes back, silent,
And smiles: no.
And no greeting and now answer comes from anywhere.
Translated by James Wright
Submitted by Holt
Hermann Hesse's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (At Night On The High Seas by Hermann Hesse )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Don't Brake The Wings, Arno Le Roux
- They Said, Lonnie Hicks
- Taken As Directed., Norman Jin Shyr Wang
- Exercises Of The Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Accounting For Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poetry, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The Best Is To Forget, Shalom Freedman
- Esta noche, Sergio Jaime
- My Pen Is Happy, King Happy
- All of The Above, King Happy