Apple Picking Time
Not far up the path green trees with bright apples
Sparkled under the lovely autumn sun.
The bent, magnificent apple trees marched in rows
With a parade of red shiny drums
At a farm stand my friend and I found
Apple pie a la mode then bought apple cider.
Above the dappled apple trees the sky blossomed
Like shimmery powder blue asters.
To get one big magical pumpkin
From the sunlit patch I thought of pockets and spare dimes.
The wish for an orange Halloween jack o' lantern
Had emerged to glow at night time.
For us all a band played songs joyfully
Like flowers in the blossomy month of May.
Yellow ears of native picked corn from the field
Roasted outdoors on the dazzling fall day.
Sweet maple syrup was sold inside the open air store,
That had a pure country charm.
Some children, warmed by the sun, romped
Like little kittens pouncing upon strands of soft yarn.
Later our horse drawn wooden wagon brushed by
Boughs of apples down a bumpy dirt road,
Carrying us and other harvest visitors
In a way fashioned from days of old.
Clear, silvery bells in the pretty orchard
On the strong harness jingled as they played.
They brought to me the dream of sleigh bells
And a merry, snowy white Christmas holiday.
Along the glistening ride I sat upon
Some sunny, golden hay for a short while
And marveled about how every happy
Apple picking time can always make me smile!
Gayle Sweeney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Apple Picking Time by Gayle Sweeney )
- Matter Has No Matter, Curtlan Popo
- The snow is pretty., Harold R Hunt Sr
- The bells do ring., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Apple Pie., Harold R Hunt Sr
- The horror show., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Spring, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Love for gramma, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Cogs in Clockwork, Curtlan Popo
- The bike ride, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The morning sun., Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- The Rider, Naomi Shihab Nye
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Naomi Shihab Nye
(12 March 1952)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(18 November 1939)