Apple Picking Time
Not far up the path green trees with bright apples
Sparkled under the lovely autumn sun.
The bent, magnificent apple trees marched in rows
With a parade of red shiny drums
At a farm stand my friend and I found
Apple pie a la mode then bought apple cider.
Above the dappled apple trees the sky blossomed
Like shimmery powder blue asters.
To get one big magical pumpkin
From the sunlit patch I thought of pockets and spare dimes.
The wish for an orange Halloween jack o' lantern
Had emerged to glow at night time.
For us all a band played songs joyfully
Like flowers in the blossomy month of May.
Yellow ears of native picked corn from the field
Roasted outdoors on the dazzling fall day.
Sweet maple syrup was sold inside the open air store,
That had a pure country charm.
Some children, warmed by the sun, romped
Like little kittens pouncing upon strands of soft yarn.
Later our horse drawn wooden wagon brushed by
Boughs of apples down a bumpy dirt road,
Carrying us and other harvest visitors
In a way fashioned from days of old.
Clear, silvery bells in the pretty orchard
On the strong harness jingled as they played.
They brought to me the dream of sleigh bells
And a merry, snowy white Christmas holiday.
Along the glistening ride I sat upon
Some sunny, golden hay for a short while
And marveled about how every happy
Apple picking time can always make me smile!
Gayle Sweeney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Apple Picking Time by Gayle Sweeney )
- Stray dogs are scary, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Painting Outside The Lines, Kyle Schlicher
- Dancer, Kyle Schlicher
- The Sunset In Your Eyes, Lilly Emery
- Titled with untitled, Jole Hans
- Moon Whispers Tune, Kyle Schlicher
- Oh' that smile, Ms.Tanease Berry
- Our Fall, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Each Hour, Kyle Schlicher
- Facial Character, Kyle Schlicher
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)