Lawrence S. Pertillar
Appearances Of Weakness
It is not a weakness to express,
Heartfelt emotion to expose its depth.
In tears shown to drip from eyes.
Or in confessions made to get off their chests.
And these are the people others consider to be weak.
However, appearances of weakness is not in their reach.
Only those still going through roleplay poses,
To perceive with taught beliefs they keep...
Are those who accept that deceiving themselves,
With ambitions kept to impress others...
Can not or will not project a direct honesty.
Although to gossip behind someone's back,
For many is a normality with a doing of that daily.
For whatever the reason...
Trustworthy people seem to be at a minimum.
Yet more of the 'others' want to prove their strength,
By pretending they have no weaknesses.
Although lieing to themselves is what that is.
'Those who show tears are weak.'
~And those who don't are what?
~Then what category do you put those,
Who have proven their strength...
And still can expose emotion,
With a showing of their tears?
Where do you fit these 'misfit' expressions.~
'I just know women do things,
Men aren't suppose to do? '
~And you learned this correctness of etiquette,
TV? The movies?
Or from some tribal ritual? ~
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Appearances Of Weakness by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Rain, Devin Lasker
- Lyrics Lifted Aloft, Saiom Shriver
- Who Are They?, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Broken Marriage, Donal Mahoney
- New York City, Dawson Walter Smith
- I will turn my eyes from you, Nero CaroZiv
- In Concert Tonight, Donal Mahoney
- January 1st,2015, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- In My Dreams, Kyle Schlicher
- One Needs The Other, Kyle Schlicher