David Lewis Paget
Anon has writ but many a good verse
From village, fields and fens,
But none so cruel as that he wrote
About Sir Patrick Spens.
He wandered near, he wandered far
And hid from all of us,
Some verse he would disguise by signing
In Scotland he cast off his yoke
And first began to sing,
By Tom ‘O Bedlam's starry skies
He lay there, wondering.
He told us of John Barleycorn
Slain on the threshing floor,
And while he wrote, he told his wife
Get Up and Bar the Door.
He hid within a gypsy camp
And watched them cut Green Broom,
The Wraggle Taggle Gypsies took
His wife, that afternoon.
Was he a Laird, or just a man
There's no-one left to tell,
For on the road he stumbled on
The Wife of Usher's Well.
She told him of her wail and woe
The loss of her sons three,
How they'd set sail the week before
Upon the burly sea.
And so he scribbled down, Anon,
The sorrow in each life,
Of she who would not wash nor spin
For the Wee Cooper of Fife.
I'll track him well, I'll track him down
I fear for this Anon.,
He's not been seen for many a year,
I fear he may be gone!
19 February 2013
David Lewis Paget's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Anon. by David Lewis Paget )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
- Deepavu Ninnade.. Gaaliyu Ninnade.., K. S. Narasimhaswamy
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- The Theatre of The Absurd (III), Bijay Kant Dubey
- On My Songs, Luo Zhihai
- There Is A Time When One Forces Oneself .., Shalom Freedman
- Lament to the Full Moon, Geoffrey Fafard
- Roach Talk, Ima Ryma
- Haiku A Butterfly By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- MERCY OUR COVALENCY REMAINS WITH BUOYANCY, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Haiku A Wizened Rose By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- A Cleaner World, Luis Estable
- A Coronary Relapse, white dove