David Lewis Paget
Anon has writ but many a good verse
From village, fields and fens,
But none so cruel as that he wrote
About Sir Patrick Spens.
He wandered near, he wandered far
And hid from all of us,
Some verse he would disguise by signing
In Scotland he cast off his yoke
And first began to sing,
By Tom ‘O Bedlam's starry skies
He lay there, wondering.
He told us of John Barleycorn
Slain on the threshing floor,
And while he wrote, he told his wife
Get Up and Bar the Door.
He hid within a gypsy camp
And watched them cut Green Broom,
The Wraggle Taggle Gypsies took
His wife, that afternoon.
Was he a Laird, or just a man
There's no-one left to tell,
For on the road he stumbled on
The Wife of Usher's Well.
She told him of her wail and woe
The loss of her sons three,
How they'd set sail the week before
Upon the burly sea.
And so he scribbled down, Anon,
The sorrow in each life,
Of she who would not wash nor spin
For the Wee Cooper of Fife.
I'll track him well, I'll track him down
I fear for this Anon.,
He's not been seen for many a year,
I fear he may be gone!
19 February 2013
David Lewis Paget's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Anon. by David Lewis Paget )
- The Best Day, Meriam Joseph
- Harken, The Rain comest, Sir Toby Moses
- I am blind, Aftab Alam
- One Half of a Love, michael walkerjohn
- Separated Hearts, Michael Mira
- >> Orphanage, Abdul Wahab
- Visible pain, hasmukh amathalal
- a, Vera Sidhwa
- Not be easy, hasmukh amathalal
- So heavily inbuilt, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- .....You Ask How Much I Love You (best l.., Charles Wiles
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)