David Lewis Paget
Anon has writ but many a good verse
From village, fields and fens,
But none so cruel as that he wrote
About Sir Patrick Spens.
He wandered near, he wandered far
And hid from all of us,
Some verse he would disguise by signing
In Scotland he cast off his yoke
And first began to sing,
By Tom ‘O Bedlam's starry skies
He lay there, wondering.
He told us of John Barleycorn
Slain on the threshing floor,
And while he wrote, he told his wife
Get Up and Bar the Door.
He hid within a gypsy camp
And watched them cut Green Broom,
The Wraggle Taggle Gypsies took
His wife, that afternoon.
Was he a Laird, or just a man
There's no-one left to tell,
For on the road he stumbled on
The Wife of Usher's Well.
She told him of her wail and woe
The loss of her sons three,
How they'd set sail the week before
Upon the burly sea.
And so he scribbled down, Anon,
The sorrow in each life,
Of she who would not wash nor spin
For the Wee Cooper of Fife.
I'll track him well, I'll track him down
I fear for this Anon.,
He's not been seen for many a year,
I fear he may be gone!
19 February 2013
David Lewis Paget's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Anon. by David Lewis Paget )
- Friendship is made by God, gajanan mishra
- Friend, JAMES T. ADAIR
- Isil: Our Planet needs Peace, Rachel Nichols
- You'll Never Know, Akhtar Jawad
- Resource less, hasmukh amathalal
- Teaching - A Satisfying Experience, Joseph T. Renaldi
- The Story of An Autumn Leaf, Rose Lu ( Bing Hua )
- Love Unfetterred, Zulfiqar Ali Bhatti
- Time-wheel, gajanan mishra
- IMPROBABLE ME, Terry O'Leary
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Psalm of Life, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)