And She Said No To Her Lover
"If you really love me, you cannot say no",
"O, I hate to say no, but I must", she replied.
"Then you don't love me."
"You are unfair and try to control me.
I don't like to be manipulated", she said.
"Wow, this is turning to be ugly."
"On the contrary, I think this can help
to improve our relationship."
"How could it? I think this sinks the ship
of our relationship", he said.
"No. This could improve our relationship,
because refusing your request frees me
from frustration and resentment", she said.
"And why would you be frustrated
and resentful? " he asked.
"Because you don't respect me", she said.
"But I do respect you".
"No. You don't."
"I don't understand you.
Why do you keep saying this? "
"Because if you really respect me,
you would be more considerate
and would not try to manipulate me."
"I don't try to manipulate you".
"Yes you do."
"I don't see how all this feud would lead us
to a better relationship", he said.
"If you care, it will. And my refusal
clears the way for understanding
each other better. It opens the door
to a greater love, because if you
really love me, you care about me
and respect my right to say no to you".
Paul Hartal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (And She Said No To Her Lover by Paul Hartal )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 February 1970-)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Main To Jhonka Hu Hava Ka Ura Le Jaunga, Kumar Vishwas
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
Poem of the Day
- NIGHT WHISPER, john chizoba vincent
- Missing, Marilyn Jean
- Mourning Glory, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Seem Deprived, But..., Brave Hearts
- No More War for Heroes Forty-Four, Tom Navarro
- Vintage Dreams, Nika McGuin
- MOTHER'S CURSE, john chizoba vincent
- Little Images, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Risque, Tiku akp
- Loss of Innocence, Bijay Kant Dubey