An Ordinary Day
The joggers running around the lake
Looked as if they were about to give birth.
They say no pain no gain but they were
Obviously stressed out to say the least.
My exercise was throwing the ball for Clara
Who retrieved it and brought it back to me.
This routine we did every morning for the
Past year, except when it rained.
The lake was kidney shaped and was one
Mile round and almost flat except for the
Grassy mounds that were raised covered
With bushes and ash trees and silver birch.
Joggers, dog walkers and the elderly plodded
Around trying not to bump into each other
With a ‘Morning’ or ‘Afternoon’ as the day dictated.
Even young mums with pushchairs graced the day.
There was nothing special about the lake, in fact
It was ordinary as lakes go with swans, ducks and
Geese flapping about with coots and moorhens
In their wake but it was popular with folk.
But this is the thing with life, we take the ordinary
And turn it into something special, a cause celeb.
And the moments we share with strangers can
Be moments to savour in the course of the day.
David Wood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Ordinary Day by David Wood )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Tune Metallic, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Don't Say Goodbye, Michael P. McParland
- Enough With the Socks, Babbling Brookes
- Don't Like It?, Michael P. McParland
- Domestic Dreams, Michael P. McParland
- Delicately, Michael P. McParland
- DANCING COLOURS OF POWER, ABAYOMI OGUNNIYI
- Till My End, Michael P. McParland
- A Frozen Soldier, Raymond A. Foss
- Three Sides To Every Story, Michael P. McParland