PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
An Odd Adventure....
Years back when flood paid a ritual visit
to our low lying area, amidst common suffering
I had a chance to have a unique adventure!
The swamp nearby looked a makeshift sea.
I had the first boat ride in the grey water body!
The vision around was not at all inviting;
The sky was watching us with a sulky face.
The oar-boy was my distant neighbor.
He was wielding a thin bamboo pole quite adeptly
in the deep dirty water to make the boat go ahead.
While passing by the heads of the jute plants jutted out
from the watery clutch of the flood water, a shiver
ran down my backbone at the dreadful sight of many snakes
desperately cuddling up to the protruded jute heads.
Our boat skirted past this fearful stretch and it was more horrible
to be in the middle of huge rains pumped known-unknown sea!
I now told him in rather feeble voice that we better be back...
During the return the land dotted with half-drowned houses
and some daring tree tops made the sight very pity.
I shall never forget this kind of odd adventure.
PARTHA SARATHI PAUL's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Odd Adventure.... by PARTHA SARATHI PAUL )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Silent Spring, Bijay Kant Dubey
- sTrEaMed 2 - Compliant s afforded. The .., sEaN nOrTh
- This world, appiah japheth
- Nation Building, Tony Adah
- A Dance Is A Poem Gesturted Through, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Salvage, appiah japheth
- Sitting In The Park, Paul Gerard Reed
- I wish for peace and not war pieces, Juwon Daniel
- Life is more than anything else, gajanan mishra
- DJ, The Making of A DJ, Bijay Kant Dubey