r james sterzinger
Alone as a Stone
my father visited me last night
we went for a drive
everything had changed
the streets were the same
barren, gravel, open.
just the factories closed,
and the prevailing
emptiness as always.
eventually we turned east
the direction of the old home place
he cried as we slowed down
looked. went by. kept going.
it wasn't the same.
all the voices of spring
the running of the fields
the years of christmases
easters, first communions,
are ghosts now, will always be.
so is my father.
he touched me on the forehead
then i awoke alone in my bed
i am hundreds of miles from there now.
i am a million miles away from it all.
i too am a ghost and will always be.
my mind still haunts the passages
of my hometown. my home.
and as i write this i know
i am a rootless man
only a ghost, a specter
to the ones i know, a myth
my father is gone my mother before him
one before me miscarried and lost
though i live among the living
i am dead already so very dead
my life is a shadow,
no past no future just now
i am as empty as memory
as alone as a stone.
why must you seek the living
among the dead?
r james sterzinger's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Alone as a Stone by r james sterzinger )
- This unknown world, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Grace, Scott J. Shepard
- My chidhood poem collection -2, soulful heart
- Pleasant Weather, Royal Flower
- Friend-Zoned, Foster Teegarden
- My chidhood poem collection -1, soulful heart
- Switch Your Words, inas essa
- All opposites are ours, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- A Change of Thought, Scott J. Shepard
- Will They Never Know The Looking Glass W.., mary douglas
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)