r james sterzinger
Alone as a Stone
my father visited me last night
we went for a drive
everything had changed
the streets were the same
barren, gravel, open.
just the factories closed,
and the prevailing
emptiness as always.
eventually we turned east
the direction of the old home place
he cried as we slowed down
looked. went by. kept going.
it wasn't the same.
all the voices of spring
the running of the fields
the years of christmases
easters, first communions,
are ghosts now, will always be.
so is my father.
he touched me on the forehead
then i awoke alone in my bed
i am hundreds of miles from there now.
i am a million miles away from it all.
i too am a ghost and will always be.
my mind still haunts the passages
of my hometown. my home.
and as i write this i know
i am a rootless man
only a ghost, a specter
to the ones i know, a myth
my father is gone my mother before him
one before me miscarried and lost
though i live among the living
i am dead already so very dead
my life is a shadow,
no past no future just now
i am as empty as memory
as alone as a stone.
why must you seek the living
among the dead?
r james sterzinger's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Alone as a Stone by r james sterzinger )
- I Remember, Kelly Shanks
- Right there, Robert Lynnn
- Beautiful heaven, hasmukh amathalal
- Black Thursday, Barry Jablonski
- ... MY FIGHT FOR LIFE..., Ken e Hall
- Show life, hasmukh amathalal
- Life, Soul Watcher
- Song of Myself, LII, Walt Whitman
- Bharatheeyakavitha-3, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Childhood is the Kingdom Where Nobody Dies, Edna St. Vincent Millay
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Case Of Murder, Vernon Scannell
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Green Mountain, Li Po
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)