r james sterzinger
Alone as a Stone
my father visited me last night
we went for a drive
everything had changed
the streets were the same
barren, gravel, open.
just the factories closed,
and the prevailing
emptiness as always.
eventually we turned east
the direction of the old home place
he cried as we slowed down
looked. went by. kept going.
it wasn't the same.
all the voices of spring
the running of the fields
the years of christmases
easters, first communions,
are ghosts now, will always be.
so is my father.
he touched me on the forehead
then i awoke alone in my bed
i am hundreds of miles from there now.
i am a million miles away from it all.
i too am a ghost and will always be.
my mind still haunts the passages
of my hometown. my home.
and as i write this i know
i am a rootless man
only a ghost, a specter
to the ones i know, a myth
my father is gone my mother before him
one before me miscarried and lost
though i live among the living
i am dead already so very dead
my life is a shadow,
no past no future just now
i am as empty as memory
as alone as a stone.
why must you seek the living
among the dead?
r james sterzinger's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Alone as a Stone by r james sterzinger )
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Fragment, Oscar Wilde
- Madhushala, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- For My Love, Sandra Feldman
- I love To Run, Patrick Sant
- My Exploding Stomach, RUBAB ATWAL
- The Lifelong Comrades, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- LAST TIME, Terry Collett
- Another Toll By Death, Tony Adah
- I have always thought about life, Sumita Jetley
- I MISS YOU DAD, Sharen Suren
- Roses Red, Coral, Blue, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- A Night Thought, Luo Zhihai