r james sterzinger
After Reading Rilke
I shall walk the corners
Of reckless parting. I shall
Dance on the memories of light
I shall stalk the hem of the black
Widow's skirt and know
the partings of her heart.
I shall pry open the edges
of envelopes filled with sadness
open waves and oceans of bad news
I shall kiss the mouth of the Graveyard
Huntress. I shall mouth symphonies
of grief to the beauty of sunlit days.
I shall embrace tears as petals
I shall cast pearls before swine
With full vigor.
I shall read books that predict
My demise; I will embrace
The written word as a long lost lover.
I shall stare in silence and listen
To the morning bird's first echoes
His first mournful song. I shall
Tear at his crying, for his lost
Ones from the night.
I shall sing dirges at sunlight
Skip and dance
Wild at the fall of night.
I will joyfully enter my eternal grave
I shall buy a plot for my rest
Behind gates. On consecrated ground
Before I am gone, this I will do.
I will choose my madness, choose
My chaos, kissing both of them
On the brow. They give me meaning.
They teach me my craft.
I will taunt dogs at night
I will love women who cannot
Love me back. I will cry over them.
I will curse the writings of demons
Yet I will get to know all of mine
One by one by one.
I will produce incantations
Musings, songs, poems
That will never see the light of day
I will lose my heart and if need be
My soul to one I can only love from afar.
Then I will have truly lived with no remorse
I will truly have lived a life
One that only madmen and angels can dream of.
I will be written in the Lamb's Book of Life
Because He will understand how I wish Him
Even more than all of this
Because He is the one who has made me
Who understands my craft. I have read the Psalms,
I shall call this a life!
This is what I hope for.
r james sterzinger's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (After Reading Rilke by r james sterzinger )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- The Shadow Of The Wind., Tony Adah
- True Meaning Of Friendship Quote, thumper 786
- Seesaws المراجيح, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- World Leprosy Week, john tiong chunghoo
- Catch 22 on the Lake District hills., Dan Reynolds
- My Words, Fatima Nusairat
- Jesus And Gandhi: South And North Of Sam.., Saiom Shriver
- I Remember, Ronald Chapman
- The Flash Of The Brahman, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Chick Coalition, Saiom Shriver