Ah, how sweet it is to love!
AH, how sweet it is to love!
Ah, how gay is young Desire!
And what pleasing pains we prove
When we first approach Love's fire!
Pains of love be sweeter far
Than all other pleasures are.
Sighs which are from lovers blown
Do but gently heave the heart:
Ev'n the tears they shed alone
Cure, like trickling balm, their smart:
Lovers, when they lose their breath,
Bleed away in easy death.
Love and Time with reverence use,
Treat them like a parting friend;
Nor the golden gifts refuse
Which in youth sincere they send:
For each year their price is more,
And they less simple than before.
Love, like spring-tides full and high,
Swells in every youthful vein;
But each tide does less supply,
Till they quite shrink in again:
If a flow in age appear,
'Tis but rain, and runs not clear.
John Dryden's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ah, how sweet it is to love! by John Dryden )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(10 February 1970-)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Broken Dreams 'A Divorce Story', Craig Mize
- Ek se silsile hain sab hijr ki rut bata .., Pirzada Qasim
Poem of the Day
- Stuff I Love, Emily Liang
- My Barber, Ima Ryma
- 28 December My Birthday, benaiah sondashi
- Who Are You?, Electric Lady
- Aunt Sally, hafiz qasim
- Autonecropolis, Leslie Philibert
- '' There's No Substitution '', bri mar
- Pessimist Vs. Optimist, Sujay Asukar
- In And Out Of Existence, Margaret Alice Second
- aChe HiLLy's Heal - oN thE hEELs oF eVeR.., sEaN nOrTh