Absurd Breast Cancer Prevention
“Surgical removal of the breasts before any sign
of cancer is one way to significantly lower the risk.”
Journal of Clinical Oncology, March 15,2005
'Changing Your Lifestyle Can Change Your Genes...
genes are not your destiny', Dean Ornish, M.D.,
Newsweek, June 17,2008
She is scared to death, so what is the answer?
Tell me doctor, please, advise her while she is healthy,
For she is statistically at a high risk of becoming ill
And afraid to contract the dreadful breast cancer.
Cut her healthy breasts, remove all hale tissue,
The good surgeon tells her, with assurance insists
That the operation solves the problem, reduces the risk
To zero, and so cancer is no longer the issue.
But the injudicious medical counsel fails to inform her
That as a life style scourge cancer can be prevented better,
And anyway, removing the breasts does not really matter
Because the disease may strike the body elsewhere.
This brutal cure is absurd, like the act of one afraid of steps,
A person at a high risk of fractures who avoids walking
And in a Kafkaesque way opts to amputate the limbs
In order to prevent the breaking of the legs.
Paul Hartal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Absurd Breast Cancer Prevention by Paul Hartal )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Every Writer's Tale, Hebert Logerie
- At this time, hasmukh amathalal
- RAINBOW, RAJNI CHHABRA
- Deep and sank, hasmukh amathalal
- Odia Poem- SAMAYA, Jitendra seth
- आंनि लोगोफ्रा आंनि खोथाखौ बुजिया, Ronjoy Brahma
- Peace in the air, Vidura Prabhath
- Odia Poem- To Apekshyare mu, Jitendra seth
- आंनि बोरै गोरोन्थि जाखो, Ronjoy Brahma
- Odia Poem- JHADA, Jitendra seth