A Threnody for Obi
The dark stars loom on frontiers,
Dewed and muggy, grey and sodden to the comfort
Of the lashes.
We wave black banners, spirited with the
Toils of tears, cusping the edges that once
Bore beveled points.
So, where do we go from here?
With what luminous entity shall we light our footpath,
Seeing how dark and bedraggled,
How somnolent, how diseased the hermitage
Enmeshed in this reticulation of loss,
We should choose candles to lie ahead of us.
Such flare, wind-tossed, blink us to the
Direction of where we seek;
Where we should gather on wet heaths,
Speak in one patois of grief, composing dirges
In loosened tongues, and with pastels
That paint russets of tears.
Let us lament sotto voce, picking words to
Build woes in conflations.
At about the third hour,
When the dour components of groggy eyes
Belittle our senses, let us all, in one
Orgy of parrhesia,
Bullyrag Death's ingress at odd hours,
Rebuking strongly, its petulant arrogance of eternal filth.
Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Threnody for Obi by Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu )
- Another, Katelin Taylor
- Under my bed, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Words have power, gajanan mishra
- 001, Pijush Biswas
- The Stream called Love, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Taking cover., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Unclothing Her, Do You Want To Photograp.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love You Mom, Harold R Hunt Sr
- what is it for, Bull Hawking
- THE WEEKEND BASH., Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Different Ways to Pray, Naomi Shihab Nye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)