A Shoulder To Cry Upon
Always ready to listen, without making judgment,
you have been supportive when I am feeling alone.
Whenever I call, you're available when I am in need;
you become the shoulder I can lean upon for help.
And a place of comfort to weep and say how I feel,
when the sun goes down on your perfume face,
disappointment drilled into the today's confession
I see the future has much to do with our conversation.
And often when I am too weak, I fall asleep too;
rumors are everywhere that you can't let me go.
Maybe some day, people will see the true picture,
and find out later that they've made a big mistake.
If you tell me to leave I will feel totally crush,
those moments of uncertainty hurt me as much.
Tomorrow I will come back looking for you
to celebrate the way you made things look new.
You have a right to keep me away locked outside
many will not see what it's like to be with you inside,
There's nothing wrong with discretion, if we stay,
with each other in love for many more days.
The next time I wake up and feel lonely without you,
I will write a letter and keep it by the bedsit table.
To remind me of the support you always make available,
until you fall upon my shoulders and I read them to you.
Gerry Legister's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Shoulder To Cry Upon by Gerry Legister )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 January 1887 – 20 January 1962)
- Jennifer Gordon
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1886 - 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- Black Riders Came From the Sea, Stephen Crane
Poem of the Day
- It Is Time, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mother's Love, Father's Love, Sister's L.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- 52, Frank Avon
- Treasure, M.J. Lemon
- For A Friend... (Prose) ..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Thank you Poets!, Paul Sebastian
- One Mourning In The August of '17, Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- The Muddle, Sunny Chopra
- Hell or Heaven, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- The Beauty that is Simplicity, Leong Ming Loong