A Neighbours Tears
O heighth! o Depthe! upon my bended knees
Who dare Expound these Wondrous Mysteries:
That this rare plant is cropt before mine Eyes
(Meer Shadow) left to write her Elegies.
Pray what brave Artist here can Understand
What one intends that takes a pen in hand?
Twas t'other day a place I visited
Where stands a palme, one limb where of is dead.
A bow'r which many years Thousands have shaded
By whome one Church was built: and Willard aided
Seeking the plat of Immortality
I saw no place secure but some must die
Treading that way their Ancient fathers did
Whose faces are, but Vertues can't be hid.
I saw this pretty Lamb, but t'other day,
With a small flock of Doves, Just in my Way.
What New made Creature's this so bright 'thought I
Ah! pitty tis such prettiness should die.
With rare alliances on Every side
Had old physitians liv'd She ne're had died.
Must then the Rulers of this Worlds Affairs
By Providence be brought to us in tears.
Lord keep their Eyes from such smart Judgments free
Such mournfull Sights are more becoming mee.
Pleasant Rebecka, heres to thee a Tear
Hugg my sweet Mary if you chance to see her
Had you giv'n warning ere you pleasd to Die,
You might have had a neater Elegy.
Benjamin Tompson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Neighbours Tears by Benjamin Tompson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- रंजानाय फैगौ, Ronjoy Brahma
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- It, Gilbert Ortega
- The Approach, Gilbert Ortega
- Mona Lisa Canvas, Gilbert Ortega
- Passion Play, Gilbert Ortega
- The Gatekeeper part 2 (In memory of Edga.., Gilbert Ortega
- AGAINST FORGETTING, George Dee Vuy
- The Gatekeeper part 1 (In memory of Edga.., Gilbert Ortega
- For Jennifer, Gilbert Ortega
- Gilded Thorns, Gilbert Ortega
- Journey of death, ramesh rai