A Neighbours Tears
O heighth! o Depthe! upon my bended knees
Who dare Expound these Wondrous Mysteries:
That this rare plant is cropt before mine Eyes
(Meer Shadow) left to write her Elegies.
Pray what brave Artist here can Understand
What one intends that takes a pen in hand?
Twas t'other day a place I visited
Where stands a palme, one limb where of is dead.
A bow'r which many years Thousands have shaded
By whome one Church was built: and Willard aided
Seeking the plat of Immortality
I saw no place secure but some must die
Treading that way their Ancient fathers did
Whose faces are, but Vertues can't be hid.
I saw this pretty Lamb, but t'other day,
With a small flock of Doves, Just in my Way.
What New made Creature's this so bright 'thought I
Ah! pitty tis such prettiness should die.
With rare alliances on Every side
Had old physitians liv'd She ne're had died.
Must then the Rulers of this Worlds Affairs
By Providence be brought to us in tears.
Lord keep their Eyes from such smart Judgments free
Such mournfull Sights are more becoming mee.
Pleasant Rebecka, heres to thee a Tear
Hugg my sweet Mary if you chance to see her
Had you giv'n warning ere you pleasd to Die,
You might have had a neater Elegy.
Benjamin Tompson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Neighbours Tears by Benjamin Tompson )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Immersing Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Ruled By Share Values, Terence G. Craddock
- Forgive Me Lord, The Oracle
- Earth's Greediest Ruling Government?, Terence G. Craddock
- She's The Devil and I am Her Sin, A.j. Binash
- depths within the shallows, Metaphorically Speaking
- You are leading being the head, gajanan mishra
- Chasing Rainbows, Rachel Nichols
- Rasta bhoole nahi thhe, ANJALI KAKATI
- Without Purpose Or Reason Affixed, Lawrence S. Pertillar