A needle in a haystack...
Why did it take so long for me to find you?
Why did it feel as if it took forever?
I felt that I did all the things I knew to do,
Perhaps they all were far too clever...
Devious and cunning, that's what they proved to be,
They thought that they were too far above my head -
They never let my true self shine, that which is me,
They thought that they were in control, instead...
I left them to the making of their own mind,
and took another path, which led away from them -
I put all the wounds, scars and gloom behind,
and buried all the trash from which thoughts stem...
I found you, just by chance, such was my luck,
Like a needle in a haystack, I sought you out -
You were a fruit of goodness, I chanced to pluck,
Not it's our love and happiness, I'd like to tout!
Love is something to be prized and fought for,
Not such a thing that fades and falls away -
Love is strong and gorgeous to the very core,
and lasts for all one's life, not for one ordinary day.
david lessard's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A needle in a haystack... by david lessard )
- What I Can Say: To My Sisters, Betsy Sholl
- Rush Hour, Betsy Sholl
- Numeracy**, Neil Young
- The Wind and the Clock, Betsy Sholl
- Latcho Drom, Betsy Sholl
- funny day at the circus, lee fones
- Life, Victor Agbanyim
- Gulls in the Wind, Betsy Sholl
- Let the Rain begin, Antonio Liao
- Scenes From the Rain! ! ! ! ! ! ! !, RAJESH.C BOSE
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1923 - 1998)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)