Deprived of root, and branch and rind,
Yet flowers I bear of every kind:
And such is my prolific power,
They bloom in less than half an hour;
Yet standers-by may plainly see
They get no nourishment from me.
My head with giddiness goes round,
And yet I firmly stand my ground:
All over naked I am seen,
And painted like an Indian queen.
No couple-beggar in the land
E'er joined such numbers hand in hand.
I joined them fairly with a ring;
Nor can our parson blame the thing.
And though no marriage words are spoke,
They part not till the ring is broke;
Yet hypocrite fanatics cry,
I'm but an idol raised on high;
And once a weaver in our town,
A damned Cromwellian, knocked me down.
I lay a prisoner twenty years,
And then the jovial cavaliers
To their old post restored all three -
I mean the church, the king, and me.
Jonathan Swift's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Maypole by Jonathan Swift )
- L.Messi 오피뷰 광교오피 KTwiz 사당오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., sibngnu3 sibngnu3
- Fruit Cocktail in Light Syrup, Amy Gerstler
- Racism, Kenneth Maswabi
- Idling mind., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Using Both Sides Of A Brain, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- hakuna matata, Luv Artem
- Silent Horizons, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Continuing Inspiration, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A.Blok, Three letters - 1- translation (.., Lyudmila Purgina
- last trail, Vian Sabri
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Tiger, William Blake
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
- The Lesson, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)