Deprived of root, and branch and rind,
Yet flowers I bear of every kind:
And such is my prolific power,
They bloom in less than half an hour;
Yet standers-by may plainly see
They get no nourishment from me.
My head with giddiness goes round,
And yet I firmly stand my ground:
All over naked I am seen,
And painted like an Indian queen.
No couple-beggar in the land
E'er joined such numbers hand in hand.
I joined them fairly with a ring;
Nor can our parson blame the thing.
And though no marriage words are spoke,
They part not till the ring is broke;
Yet hypocrite fanatics cry,
I'm but an idol raised on high;
And once a weaver in our town,
A damned Cromwellian, knocked me down.
I lay a prisoner twenty years,
And then the jovial cavaliers
To their old post restored all three -
I mean the church, the king, and me.
Jonathan Swift's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Maypole by Jonathan Swift )
Did you read them?
- The Day Will Come, Mitta Xinindlu
- Unrequited Love, Amber Carr
- Easy It Is To Forget, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Loving Is A Wish, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- just done, Rachelle Langley
- You Sheep I Blame, Rocky Wolfbanger
- Additament Amour Apier, Louis Borgo
- Forgotten Bridge, Tim Labbe
- Left Behind (Poor Are The Poor, M.J Donnchadh
- I Had a Need for Walking, Vera Sidhwa
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)