Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis
A Duty Done - 1935
The swallows are back, and I'm tuning my lyre,
For today 'tis my duty to sing
A melodious lay that is graciously gay
To welcome - officially - spring
So let's have a song with a swing.
High cockalorum and fal-de-rah, whack!
Young Spring's in the offing! The swallows are back!
To put sense in the song matters little so long
As the lift and the lilt of it ring.
And a mention be made of the wattle-hung glade
Where the blithering birds are a-wing
And the clamorous honey-bees cling.
Tho' I'm scarce in the humor, alas and alack!
Ho, merry-down-derry! The swallows are back!
So - officially - Hi! Oh, salubrious sky!
What a dear and delectable thing
To behold such a blue as old Arcady knew
When - er - Strephan or someone was king
And life held nor arrow nor sling.
Ah, the fervor is forced; but I mustn't get slack,
Tho' the rhymes may run low, for the swallows are back!
But - privily - oh, my vitality's low,
And a sneer at the season I fling
For I gasp and I wheeze in the weary unease
Of the plagues that the pollen days bring
I'm insipid as second-hand string.
Ah, ring down the curtain! I've gone to the pack!
But, a last word in closing: the swallows are back.
Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Duty Done - 1935 by Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis )
- Passion Of Existence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 'It is, what it is', Mae AC.
- To Perish In Paris, Curtlan Popo
- Depths Of Self - Assertion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Much More To Life There Is To Live, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Our first meet, gajanan mishra
- Intensity Of A Mere Poet, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Distant Whirring, Curtlan Popo
- A Challenge Title Contest - 2014's Oct N.., Brian Johnston
- Intuitively Wondering, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Barbie Doll, Marge Piercy
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)