Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis
A Duty Done - 1933
A duty done ... What else was there to do?
A simple matter; and as simply solved.
His straight young mind worked straightly - worked as true
As ever youth's clean mind. Here no involved
And weighty pondering of faith or fact.
Duty demanded; and he leapt to act.
He leapt and died . . . Could he but tell it now,
There would, be sure, come no heroic tale.
'What else would any man do, any how?'
This thing cried to be done. How could he fail?
The cry; the danger; Duty's sudden call;
Then - well, a bit of bad luck. That was all.
They say that youth grows cynical: too prone
To weigh advantage; thro' some modern plan
Changed from the clear-eyed youth old days had known:
More of a crafty huckster, less a man.
They say - and they are answered by one youth,
Proving again one wholesome human truth.
A duty done; and valiantly done.
Tho' death came in the doing, yet, who knows
At what wise ordering? No living one
May say how kind death be to such as those
Youth, unjustified, triumphing on his way,
Quiet hero of this world of work-a-day.
Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Duty Done - 1933 by Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone And Drinking Under The Moon, Li Po
Poem of the Day
- Vanaprastha, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Broken vision, Lubinda Lubinda
- Two hands to kill, hasmukh amathalal
- With few bucks, hasmukh amathalal
- Nature's love and hate song, Anu Shraddha
- Humanity in person, hasmukh amathalal
- Perfect Union, Anu Shraddha
- Dafur crisis, Lubinda Lubinda
- Boy vs girl, Mark Heathcote
- remplaçable, Lubinda Lubinda