Ashamo Femi Ayodele
A Cynic On His Death Bed
In a while they will all gather around me
here in my lovely room
nobody said they should
but i know they would
all come to witness my frail figure lying seemingly peacefully in my Egyptian sheets.
Here they are now these whole bunch i call my posterity,
here to await my mortality.
See their filthy feet just lay waste to my Persian rug
now there is my beloved son drinking haughtily from my precious mug.
I have never entertained the idea of family
these band of familiar strangers whose supposed love still lingers on amazingly for three decades
A horde of leeches i think them to be, all creating an idyllic air for me.
I couldn't think of my precious belongings soon to be their own holdings
well i might take pleasure and delight that my wealth hasn't suffered blight.
So in one last act
i fake a smile
my wife comes forward and sheds a tear
what a charlatan and she has cleverly made her skin seem like it has suffered wear.
Finally i shut my eyes and remember my precious belongings
i shut my eyes and await its arrival
wherever i might find myself.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Cynic On His Death Bed by Ashamo Femi Ayodele )
- It Made My Day.....(sigh), Kaila George
- Unsure About....., Kaila George
- Love, Joy, Trust & Respect, Tom Zart
- Change, Kaila George
- tempt, Frederick J.B. Moore II
- Sasha said, Nassy Fesharaki
- With A Lifting Of My Leg, Is It Poetry
- Doom and Gloom, Nweke Emmanuel
- I have left my home, ramesh rai
- Turnips, Nassy Fesharaki
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Ballad of Death, Algernon Charles Swinburne
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)