A Bicycle Built For Two
There was an ambitious young eel
Who determined to ride on a wheel;
But try as he might,
He couldn't ride right,
In spite of his ardor and zeal.
If he sat on the saddle to ride
His tail only pedalled one side;
And I'm sure you'll admit
That an eel _couldn't_ sit
On a bicycle saddle astride.
Or if he hung over the top,
He could go, but he never could stop;
For of course it is clear
He had no way to steer,
And under the wheel he would flop.
His neighbor, observing the fun,
Said, 'I think that the thing can be done,
If you'll listen to me,
You'll quickly agree
That two heads are better than one.
'And this is my project, old chap,
Around our two waists I will wrap
This beautiful belt
Of bottle-green felt
And fasten it firm with a strap.'
This done, with a dignified mien
The two squirmed up on the machine,
And rode gayly away,
Or at least, so they say,
Who witnessed the wonderful scene.
Carolyn Wells's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Bicycle Built For Two by Carolyn Wells )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Tabatha Khumalo, Bob Johnson
- 'What's Wrong With Her? ', nikka mee farillon
- Emotions Kept Inside, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Yehi Karna Hay to Insan Banata Keyun Hay, Akhtar Jawad
- Golden Dreams, Ruma Chaudhuri
- Wind shall blow, hasmukh amathalal
- Turn to flower, hasmukh amathalal
- PH: Life: Growing Up, La! * - Chapter3 (.., Brian Johnston
- Mind Over Matter, david kush
- Don't do anything in a bigger way than t.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan