There lived in ancient Scribbletown a wise old writer-man,
Whose name was Homer Cicero Demosthenes McCann.
He'd written treatises and themes till, 'For a change,' he said,
'I think I'll write a children's book before I go to bed.'
He pulled down all his musty tomes in Latin and in Greek;
Consulted cyclopaedias and manuscripts antique,
Essays in Anthropology, studies in counterpoise--
'For these,' he said, 'are useful lore for little girls and boys.'
He scribbled hard, and scribbled fast, he burned the midnight oil,
And when he reached 'The End' he felt rewarded for his toil;
He said, 'This charming Children's Book is greatly to my credit.'
And now he's sorely puzzled that no child has ever read it.
Carolyn Wells's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Puzzled by Carolyn Wells )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Shallum, Edward Kofi Louis
- Hey There (Don't You Stare) / The New A.., Joseph Archer
- Imprisoned!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Afghanistanstuck, Ima Ryma
- To Speak With You II, Edward Kofi Louis
- To Speak With You, Edward Kofi Louis
- Virtuous Acts, Leong Ming Loong
- Your Paradise Is Met, Naveed Akram
- Who Needs Rains In Heaven?, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Prevention is better than cure, Leong Ming Loong