Katherine Philips (1631 - 1664 / London)
Katherine Fowler was born on New Year's day, 1631 in London, England. Her father, John Fowler, was a Presbyterian merchant. Katherine was educated at one of the Hackney boarding-schools, where she became fluent in several languages. After the death of John Fowler, Katherine's mother married a Welshman, Hector Philips, and, in 1647, at the age of sixteen, Katherine was married to fifty-four-year old James Philips, Hector's son by his first wife.
In spite of the difference in their ages, there appears to have been little conflict between Katherine and James. What division there was, was political in nature: she was a Royalist; he supported Oliver Cromwell. This difference... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- 6th April 1651 L'Amitie: To Mrs. M. Awbr...
- A Retir'd Friendship
- Against Love
- Arion to a Dolphin, On His Majesty's pas...
- Content, To My Dearest Lucasia
- Epitaph on her Son H. P.
- Friendship's Mystery, To my Dearest Luca...
- In Memory of F.P.
- In memory of that excellent person Mrs. ...
- La Solitude de St. Amant /La Solitude A ...
- L'Amitie: To Mrs. M. Awbrey.
- Orinda To Lucasia Parting October 1661 A...
- Orinda upon Little Hector Philips
- The World
Comments about Katherine Philips
Beautiful Paintings On Books
by Ekaterina Panikanova
You Too Can Learn to Write Surrealist Poetry
Spudnik Press is offering a workshop in surrealist poetry
Distasteful Fashion Shoot Featuring Author Suicides is Pulled
The spread is called 'Last Words.'
Autistic Pride Day