Katherine Fowler was born on New Year's day, 1631 in London, England. Her father, John Fowler, was a Presbyterian merchant. Katherine was educated at one of the Hackney boarding-schools, where she became fluent in several languages. After the death of John Fowler, Katherine's mother married a Welshman, Hector Philips, and, in 1647, at the age of sixteen, Katherine was married to fifty-four-year old James Philips, Hector's son by his first wife.
In spite of the difference in their ages, there appears to have been little conflict between Katherine and James. What division there was, was political in nature: she was a Royalist; he supported Oliver Cromwell. This difference... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Against Love
- To One Persuading A Lady To Marriage
- The World
- Friendship's Mystery, To my Dearest Luca...
- Epitaph on her Son H. P.
- To My Excellent Lucasia, On Our Friendsh...
- La Solitude de St. Amant /La Solitude A ...
- A Retir'd Friendship
- Content, To My Dearest Lucasia
- Orinda To Lucasia Parting October 1661 A...
- To my dear Sister, Mrs. C. P. on her Nup...
- Arion to a Dolphin, On His Majesty's pas...
- 6th April 1651 L'Amitie: To Mrs. M. Awbr...
- To Mr. Vaughan, Silurist on His Poems
Comments about Katherine Philips
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)