L'Amitie: To Mrs. M. Awbrey.
Soule of my soule! my Joy, my crown, my friend!
A name which all the rest doth comprehend;
How happy are we now, whose sols are grown,
By an incomparable mixture, One:
Whose well acquainted minds are not as neare
As Love, or vows, or secrets can endeare.
I have no thought but what's to thee reveal'd,
Nor thou desire that is from me conceal'd.
Thy heart locks up my secrets richly set,
And my breast is thy private cabinet.
Thou shedst no teare but what but what my moisture lent,
And if I sigh, it is thy breath is spent.
United thus, what horrour can appeare
Worthy our sorrow, anger, or our feare?
Let the dull world alone to talk and fight
And with their vast ambitions nature fright;
Let them despise so innocent a flame,
While Envy, pride, and faction play their game:
But we by Love sublim'd so high shall rise,
To pitty Kings, and Conquerours despise,
Since we that sacred union have engrost,
Which they and all the sullen world have lost.
Katherine Philips's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (L'Amitie: To Mrs. M. Awbrey. by Katherine Philips )
- Burning Up, Arno Le Roux
- A Warm Hand, Arno Le Roux
- The Hug, Arno Le Roux
- Make, Aparna Chatterjee
- Banking For Keeps, Arno Le Roux
- Fibonacci: Hope, Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel ..
- Dance To The Song Of My Heart, Arno Le Roux
- Wake Up If You Can, Arno Le Roux
- Painters Of Love, Arno Le Roux
- When you said, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Hedgehog, Paul Muldoon
- Being With You, Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1679 - 1718)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Maithili Sharan Gupt
(3 August 1886 – 12 December 1964)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 April 1932 - 20 December 2000)