Edward Taylor Poems
- I Am The Living Bread: Meditat...
- Upon A Wasp Chilled With Cold The bear that breathes the ...
- Prologue From Preparatory Medi...
- Preparatory Meditations - Seco...
- Huswifery Make me, O Lord, Thy spinning-wheel complete. Thy ...
- The Preface Infinity, when all things it beheld In Nothing, ...
- Ebb And Flow When first Thou on me, Lord, wroughtest Thy ...
Edward Taylor was born in Leicestershire, England in 1642. He originally worked as a school teacher, but later left England for the United States. He studied divinity at Harvard and then became a minister in Massachusetts.
The son of a non-Conformist yeoman farmer, Taylor was born in 1642 at Sketchley, Leicestershire, England. Following restoration of the monarchy ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Edward Taylor
I Am The Living Bread: Meditation Eight: John 6:51
I kening through Astronomy Divine
The Worlds bright Battlement, wherein I spy
A Golden Path my Pensill cannot line,
From that bright Throne unto my Threshold ly.
And while my puzzled thoughts about it pore
I finde the Bread of Life in’t at my doore.
When that this Bird of Paradise put in
This Wicker Cage (my Corps) to tweedle praise
Had peckt the Fruite forbad: and so did fling
Away its Food; and lost its golden dayes;
It fell into Celestiall Famine sore:
And never could attain a morsell more.
Alas! alas! Poore Bird, what wilt thou doe?