Billy Collins (22 March 1941 - / New York City)
(born William James Collins) is an American poet, appointed as Poet Laureate of the United States from 2001 to 2003. He is a Distinguished Professor at Lehman College of the City University of New York and is the Senior Distinguished Fellow of the Winter Park Institute, Florida. Collins was recognized as a Literary Lion of the New York Public Library (1992) and selected as the New York State Poet for 2004-2006.
Collins was born in New York City to William and Katherine Collins. Katherine Collins was a nurse who stopped working to raise the couple's only child. Mrs. Collins had the ability to recite verses on almost any subject, which she often did, ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In...
- By A Swimming Pool Outside Syracusa
- Candle Hat
- Child Development
- Dear Reader
- Fishing On The Susquehanna In July
- For Bartleby The Scrivener
- I Ask You
- I Chop Some Parsley While Listening To A...
- I Go Back To The House For A Book