Born in 1714 in Halesowen (now Worcestershire) England living at the family home 'The Leasowes'. Halesowen, which, up to the early years of the 18th century was in part of Shropshire. He was educated at Solihull Grammar School, where he met and became firm friends with the future poet Richard Jago, before going on to study at Pembroke College, Oxford, but without taking a degree. On inheriting 'The Leasowes' he spent much time and money on landscaping the estate.
He was a poet of diverse taste, his father recognising his talent when a young boy, had strived to send his son to Oxford to study theology but William showed no real interest, preferring poetry, odes, elegies, ballads and ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Daphne's Visit
- Colemira : A Culinary Eclogue
- A Pastoral Ode. To the Hon. Sir Richard ...
- A Parody
- Elegy II. On Posthumous Reputation - To ...
- A Pastoral Ballad IV: Disappointment
- Elegy I. He Arrives at His Retirement in...
- Elegy III. On the Untimely Death of a Ce...
- A Simile
- An Irregular Ode, After Sickness
- A Pastoral Ballad I: Absence
- Cupid and Plutus
Comments about William Shenstone
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)