Waris Shah (1722 – 1798 / Jandiala Sher Khan, Punjab / Pakistan)
Waris Shah (Punjabi: وارث شاہ, ਵਾਰਿਸ ਸ਼ਾਹ) was a Punjabi Sufi poet, renowned for his contribution to Punjabi literature. He is best known for his seminal work Heer Ranjha, based on the traditional folk tale of Heer and her lover Ranjha. Heer is considered one of the quintessential works of classical Punjabi literature. The story of Heer was also told by several other writers—including notable versions by Damodar Das, Mukbal, and Ahmed Gujjar—but Waris Shah's version is by far the most popular today.
Waris Shah was born in Jandiala Sher Khan, Punjab, Pakistan into a reputed Syed family who claimed descent from prophet Muhammad. His father's name was ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Awal Hamad Khuda Da Vird Karye
- Excerpt from Heer Waris Shah
- Hasdeyan Nainan Noon Rona De Geya
- Ki Mukk Jana Si Waris Shah Da Shayari
- Meray Dil Di Pehli KAHANI Parrh
- Mukammal Kartey Kartey Jis Ko Adhoora Ch...