Simon Armitage Poems
- I Say I Say I Say Anyone here had a go at themselves for a ...
- I Am Very Bothered I am very bothered when I think of the ...
- Poem And if it snowed and snow covered the drive he took a ...
- About His Person Five pounds fifty in change, exactly, a ...
- It Ain'T What You Do, It's Wha...
- Cataract Operation The sun comes like a head through last ...
- The Hard Here on the Hard, you're welcome to pull up and ...
a British poet, playwright, and novelist.
Life and career
Simon Armitage was born in Marsden, West Yorkshire. Armitage first studied at Colne Valley High School, Linthwaite, Huddersfield and went on to study geography at Portsmouth Polytechnic. He was a post-graduate student at Manchester University where his MA thesis concerned the effects of television violence on young offenders. Until 1994 he worked as Probation Officer in Greater Manchester. He was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Letters in 1996 from the University of Portsmouth. He then lectured on creative writing at the University of Leeds, the University of Iowa and the Manchester Metropolitan University. In ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
I Say I Say I Say
Anyone here had a go at themselves
for a laugh? Anyone opened their wrists
with a blade in the bath? Those in the dark
at the back, listen hard. Those at the front
in the know, those of us who have, hands up,
let's show that inch of lacerated skin
between the forearm and the fist. Let's tell it
like it is: strong drink, a crimson tidemark
round the tub, a yard of lint, white towels
washed a dozen times, still pink. Tough luck.
A passion then for watches, bangles, cuffs.
A likely story: you were lashed by brambles
picking berries from the woods. Come clean, ...