A whole day had gone by, flown by,
I'd written absolutely nothing at all,
Just washed my hands and my face,
Just dressed, shaved, made the bed,
Just prepared breakfast, dinner, supper,
Just watched a bit of the weekend TV,
Yet before I knew it, the day had gone,
Till after midnight, the yawning started
And my day was just moments from sleep.
The dream started just as dreams do,
Somewhere, only this time, in school,
The teacher was on his bended knees,
Pleading with the young children...
I looked on, neither as teacher or as child,
An observer, wondering, taking it all in...
But then the teacher rose, turned directly to me,
Grabbed me tightly by the lapels...
Stared strangely into my eyes...
I woke up, somewhat amazed at first,
To think I should almost be throttled,
That was quite strange and yet what to do?
Should I share my dream with others?
Keep it secret, shrug it off, smile it away?
Then I asked what should I write?
Should it be funny, entertaining, profound?
Should it tell tall tales, or just the truth?
And while I fumbled with the paper and pen,
The words came to me like never before...
I scribbled down lines as fast as I could,
Hoping that I'd not lose a single one...
Strange words and yet not even English,
Such that no matter who I've asked,
Nobody has been able to translate them...
Were the words important or trash?
Would they help Mankind or prove worthless?
In time, I realised something...
I must choose the words I write,
Not merely receive words I'll never know...
That was the turning point in my life,
The day that everything changed...
The day that I decided to
Denis Martindale, copyright, October 2013.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Write Something! by Denis Martindale )
- Language, Nassy Fesharaki
- The Best Poet The Best Man, Elius Rubby
- I'm So Thankful, Dexsta Ray
- The Landslide, Suman Pokhrel
- L.Messi 오피뷰 선릉오피 VS 대림오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM 헤트트릭, mkklovip1 mkklovip1
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ①선릉오피 ②대림오피 대란→OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM←, mkklovip1 mkklovip1
- Thanksgiving, Is It Poetry
- And shadow..., Lyudmila Purgina
- Stranger, Daisy Pereira
- A.Blok, That life had passed... - transl.., Lyudmila Purgina
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)