Words as Markers
'Are we here just for saying: House,
Bridge, Fountain, Gate, Jug, Fruit-tree, Window, -
possibly: Pillar, Tower? '
Rainer Maria Rilke, Duino Elegies, Ninth.
Translation by J.B. Leishman (1946)
Words are markers that evoke and provoke
What we have named as things, or imagined
As entities beyond the physics and chemistry
Of book, city, day, or myth and history.
Words will fall between such entities,
Both real and fancied, as in fairy tales
Or volumes we consign to shelves and cyber-space.
Words are wonders that call us to
Interpret and feel, even if we can't
Understand their inner and outer meanings.
Words are there to tickle emotions.
If passion sweeps, embrace it.
Memory or Fancy, Psyche or Mnemosyne,
All are dwellers in the Land of Muses:
That should be you and me,
Together or apart.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Words as Markers by Ananta Madhavan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- How Do I Love Thee?, Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Poem of the Day
- Blood Bath, Suresh Dogra
- Her Yes, Suresh Dogra
- Schools place of transformation., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I love the poet for ever, gajanan mishra
- A Shameless Thief, Chris Zachariou
- Our Last Meeting, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- A Lie, Leong Ming Loong
- Should I forget?, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- thoughts of you, Dorsey Baker
- Our call, Soumita Sarkar Ray