Words as Markers
'Are we here just for saying: House,
Bridge, Fountain, Gate, Jug, Fruit-tree, Window, -
possibly: Pillar, Tower? '
Rainer Maria Rilke, Duino Elegies, Ninth.
Translation by J.B. Leishman (1946)
Words are markers that evoke and provoke
What we have named as things, or imagined
As entities beyond the physics and chemistry
Of book, city, day, or myth and history.
Words will fall between such entities,
Both real and fancied, as in fairy tales
Or volumes we consign to shelves and cyber-space.
Words are wonders that call us to
Interpret and feel, even if we can't
Understand their inner and outer meanings.
Words are there to tickle emotions.
If passion sweeps, embrace it.
Memory or Fancy, Psyche or Mnemosyne,
All are dwellers in the Land of Muses:
That should be you and me,
Together or apart.
Ananta Madhavan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Words as Markers by Ananta Madhavan )
Did you read them?
- One Nation Under God, Katherine Nordhaus
- the weather knows where i'll someday put.., Mandolyn ...
- Love Is, sallam yassin
- MY HEART SMILES TO YOU, john chizoba vincent
- When The Wind Blows, Tony Adah
- If I am just a Character, Felicia Manning
- Only if..., Ntando.B Da poet
- Patience & Acceptance, Tom Zart
- I am a stream, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- THE WIDOW, john chizoba vincent
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)