Jon M. Nelson
When We Were Children
When we were children we would go and play,
Outside without worry throughout the day.
We can no longer leave children unsupervised,
In a flash they can be gone before your eyes.
We took so many risks when we were children,
We're more cautious now, than we were back then.
Children are still not supposed to talk to strangers,
But back then we didn't understand the dangers.
When we were children, we loved playing in the dirt,
Now we worry so much about them getting hurt.
We used to go outside and play without a care,
Now we have to force children to get fresh air.
With video games they don't use any creation,
When we were children we used our imaginations.
We were very active when we were much younger,
But it seems like now we have lost that hunger.
When we were children we lived in simpler times,
Now it seems the world is overwhelmed with crimes.
It seems like nothing now makes any sense,
Ever since the days that we lost our innocence.
Jon M. Nelson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (When We Were Children by Jon M. Nelson )
- Closed, Annalee Hopkins Somerville
- Iridescent, Adriana Avila
- Arcadian, Kumarmani Mahakul
- A Hidden Angry, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- irritating rash, lee fones
- Feeling Love, Sandra Feldman
- so in other words, i feel for two, Mandolyn ...
- Text time, george albot
- Deep Friendship, Sandra Feldman
- The Mighty Tumbler, Samya Bose
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)