When Love Is Not Enough
When in this land you have given your all,
And not think twice when someone needs forgiven,
Love can cover the hurt every time you fall,
But bruises will be hidden beneath the vale of sin.
Even in death love may have its share of grief,
But that will never be enough to comfort the bereaved,
Roaming within the fate of solitude and disbelief,
The search may go on until the heart is relieved.
If love would have been enough to dispel all fear,
You would not be left alone with emotions and regret,
The two protagonists; they find a path more unclear,
And eyes can not see paradise where there is neglect.
The world we knew was once full and glowing,
But when dreams fled into streams of darker abyss,
Though time may conquer that delta force from within,
Love will never be enough without true happiness.
Paradise was such a beautiful place in our mind,
Exist only when we find time to go there in spirit,
On a trip; in this realm of splendid sublime,
Bliss is given to only those digging deep to find it.
When love is not enough, there is a place to escape,
Found in the wind that floats through the passing air,
Can we dare to go and be where those memories fade?
And fond embrace becomes the only treasure.
Gerry Legister's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (When Love Is Not Enough by Gerry Legister )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- The Man, Victor Kretzie
- Again, Joseph Archer
- the business of cuisine, oskar hansen
- For You And I, Edward Kofi Louis
- Crucifixion of th' Soul..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Beware Of Mankind, Edward Kofi Louis
- Bigtha, Edward Kofi Louis
- Love Me Girl, Joseph Archer
- One Christmas Eve From The North..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Neryah, Edward Kofi Louis