Use The Young
It turns out people are like ants.
The ruling elite makes the rules,
Like when a flood happens by chance,
Rafts are built out of living tools.
The younger ants are forced to make
Up the raft's bottom layers thick.
They're more buoyant for floating's sake,
More apt to survive - they're the pick.
Of course the queen and her elite
Have dibs on the raft's safest spot.
The costs and the benefits meet.
The older have, younger have not.
The young must pay for old to be.
Just like Social Security.
Ima Ryma's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Use The Young by Ima Ryma )
Poem of the Day
- Unity is Strength, S.D. TIWARI
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1927)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)