Try Before You Trust
To counsel my estate, abandoned to the spoil
Of forged friends, whose grossest fraud is set with finest foil;
To verify true dealing wights, whose trust no treason dreads,
And all too dear th'acquaintance be, of such most harmful heads;
I am advised thus: who so doth friend, friend so,
As though tomorrow next he feared for to become a foe.
To have a feigned friend, no peril like I find;
Oft fleering face may mantle best a mischief in the mind.
A pair of angel's ears oft times doth hide a serpent's heart,
Under whose grips who so doth come, too late complains the smart.
Wherefore I do advise, who doth friend, friend so,
As though tomorrow next he should become a mortal foe.
Refuse respecting friends that courtly know to feign,
For gold that wins for gold shall lose the selfsame friends again.
The quail needs never fear in fowler's nets to fall,
If he would never bend his ear to listen to his call.
Therefore trust not too soon, but when you friend, friend so,
As though tomorrow next ye feared for to become a foe.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Try Before You Trust by Thomas Vaux )
- Billboards, Tony Adah
- Lovely emergence, hasmukh amathalal
- Realize, my dear, gajanan mishra
- Should not mind, hasmukh amathalal
- Bridegroom to His Bride, Frank Avon
- What Is Life?, Abhishek Dubey
- Useless exercise, hasmukh amathalal
- Never letting, hasmukh amathalal
- Truth is in south, gajanan mishra
- Student, Paul Sebastian
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(20 September 1902 – 7 March 1971)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Harold R Hunt Sr
(Jan 14 1954)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)