We kept close to the shed to avoid the neighbor's attention. Sally contrived her dragonhead pipe, a pipe made from the smoothest glass blown from blue flame and encrusted with confetti enamel. She preloaded it with her potent number one, who she claimed was the best of all her samples, and packed it in under the blue dancing whimsy of night's four winds.
The shed only housed a few inanimate objects, two of them being a pair of old steel framed bicycles striped down to quicksilver simplicity. Quicksilver like the moot mood of faces held previously by the lantern light as night fell on the previous celebration. A celebration of the summer nights of friends old and new. The world spinning within itself through the eyes of beer soaked exultation and uncontrollable laughter.
I want to rectify the scene for a minute under the glow of the first firefly of the summer. Sally was married into my family some years back. She had a cat she carried around town in a rucksack.
Sally was full of regrets and in her hair fell sorrow she swallowed every night
we smoked number one and took the bicycles down to the sleazy bar in town, a place TQ told us to stay away from.
In the bar a giraffe was playing pinball and an alligator swung by the jukebox
a motorbike backfired in the parking lot and all the paper figures fell off the table to the dusty floor.
jerome moore's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Townie by jerome moore )
- erotic terminology, lee fones
- The place of defeat, Terry Mitchison
- Father: Every Morning of His Life, Donal Mahoney
- Winter here الشتاء هنا, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Inference to All Our Years of Walk, N.K. Trevor
- A Sunny Day, Deborah Eker
- A Rainy Day, Deborah Eker
- The Rabbit With The Habit, Deborah Eker
- The Cat Who Chases His Tail, Deborah Eker
- Mind Unfurling, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- America the Beautiful, Katharine Lee Bates
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)