ivor or ivor.e hogg
Rebecca was a horrid child.
Her antics drove her mother wild..
Child experts offered their advice
but seldom came to visit twice.
Although her mother tried her best
Rebecca outdid all the rest.
She was unpleasant rude and crude.
An anti social attitude.
She seldom did as she was told
and thought she had the right to scold.
Her mother’s efforts at control
She seemed to have no other goal.
Than making life a misery
for members of her family.
But then her grandma came to stay.
Rebecca came to rue the day.
Grandma applied psychology
Rebecca placed across her knee
She tanned her little bottom hard.
Grandma had but scant regard.
For what the experts had to say
She raised her kids in the old way.
A firm hand lovingly applied
across Rebecca’s small backside.
Quickly changed her attitude.
Because her Grandma understood.
That little girls should never be
allowed to think that they were free.
To act and speak unpleasantly
without they paid the penalty.
Rebecca very swiftly learned
she got exactly what she earned..
She soon became a paragon.
Her bad behaviour was all gone.
Which demonstrates that Grandma knew
exactly what she had to do.
To make Rebecca toe the line
applied a little discipline.
In her own old fashioned way.
It worked a treat I have to say.
She changed Rebecca’s attitude
and earned her mothers gratitude.
Old fashioned ways had proved the best
to change Rebecca from a pest.
Into a most delightful child.
Although the experts all reviled
her methods. They could not deny
they were effective.I wonder why.
Perhaps they lack experience
as well as simple common sense.
Until they’ve raised a family
I doubt if they will ever see.
That discipline lovingly applied
beats everything which they have tried.
A child must know her boundaries
She cannot do as she pleases.
I think this story serves to show.
Although the experts think they know.
Experience will always win
when teaching children discipline.
http; // blog.myspace.com/poeticpiers
ivor or ivor.e hogg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Tough Love by ivor or ivor.e hogg )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Character, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Eyes that tell, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Night was plucky, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Once that Dawn her reign, Emmanuel George Cefai
- You have ever woken, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Horror is, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Of horror do we, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Thick Was The Mist, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Fear and fear, gajanan mishra
- Testing Muhammad by Abraham Lincoln's Qu.., Akhtar Jawad
- Castles Made of Salt, Michael Mira